Sunday, February 3, 2008

Sunday Before the Monday

By Thom Calandra

Tiburon, Calif. -- Good morning, voldy morts! This is the Sunday before the Monday.

I happen to be headed to Phoenix next weekened for the resources show in Glendale, near the site of the Super Bowl. You can see the details at thomcalandra.com and cambridgehouse.ca. I expect empty popcorn containers and busted bottles of bourbon and tequila all over the place. (Hey, I got my Super Bowl laugh already: the Hitler video on YouTube; it probably has 3 million views by now.)

I have no interest in forecasting, and even less in predicting a winner for that Americana football game. But I would love to see the new Audi commercial -- as I am in the market for one of the new TTs, I think! After driving the same old car for eight years, I AM READY. And so are the kids. Of course, my wife will have something to say about that.

Here are the bullets for this week, Thominator style:

  • Happy Lunar New Year, you dirty rats. Hong Kong's market has off a day or two this week.
  • I am finishing up the new Wambaugh novel, and it is outstanding, "Hollywood Station." It has it all: plot, humor, characters, setting. Some real zip.
  • I am just starting the Barack Obama autobiography. In large print. It's genuine and warm. I love the fact that the senator went to prep school on the Big Island over there.
  • My beloved Illumina reports its quarter on Monday. As a good hedge fund friend of mine said, that's one amazing freaking company. Genomic tools. Freaking expensive stock, too, but the company is now doing vertical tools for agricultural segments. I would expect at some point the company buys a smaller diagnostics developer.
  • It is still pouring here in Northern California. The body of one of Wambaugh's tweakers just floated past the kitchen window. So it must be time to go.

See you in Phoenix in five or so days.

-- For more, see thomcalandra.com

No comments: