Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Italian Cookbook

By Thom Calandra

TIBURON, Calif. (TC) -- My mom, no longer with us, had this tattered Italian cookbook by Maria Luisa Taglienti. It was hardcover and called The Italian Cookbook. The book had that serene Amalfi Coast view from a terrace, with da grape and da vino and da pasta on da tavola.

I still have the book, and my wife and I go to it once in a while for the basics: do you take the skins off da sausage when you make-a-da sausage pie? How mucha da rum you put in da savarin al rum? Ha capito?

What the heck is a macaroni pie and what type of pasta goes into it? (Da rigatoni, amici.)

So when a friend of mine, Jim down in Paso Robles, California, he asked me what do you do when you got da hot stock, and da hot stock is cooking hot in da sauce, I tell him I got to go to da book. Capito?

When do you sell da stock so you don't get da shmacka-da-bum da next day when da stock, it is still cooking hot in da sauce? So I open The Italian Cookbook, because, you know, my friend Jim's question is da good one. He likes-a-da stock when it go crazy. And so do I. Some da time, da shmacka-da-bum is good. It make the stock go higher.

Some of us, by the way, call this parabolic: When the stock goes higher and higher, hits new highs, comes back a little, hits more new highs, and so on. I have a couple doing this now: Illumina, God bless it, and Teva Pharmaceutical. Both we have held for many years, more than four years and five years, respectively for Illumina and Teva.

So I open the book and I turn to the page to the Veal Stew Casalinga. Benissimo!

You need da two things to get the Veal Stew Casalinga right. One is not to overdo the seasoning, keep it da simple with da salt and da pepper and just da one clove da garlic.
Da other thing: you got to simmer real low for long time. Maybe more than an hour. Maybe two hours. That there is your spezzatino di vitella, OK?

So I go back to my friend Jim and I tell him, 'Jim, you don't sell the stock until long-a-da-time. You let it da stock go higher. When the company ain't a da no more growing like shmacka-da-bum crazy (20 percent quarter to quarter, for da instance, or 50 percent on sales year to year), when da company needs to take da breather, then you finish with the simmer on the stove and you sell. Years and years. '

Especially if we are talking generic drugs and genomic tools for da savvy of da personalized medicine. Capito? I'm a da talking to you, da George Clooney, and to you, da Jim Marx, and to you, da Josefina in da garage da loft.

I hope a da so. Cosi, sta attenzione! That's The Italian Cookbook for you. Noi mangiamo ora.

Ciao, Voldy morts!

- ThomCalandra.com

I am obliged to add da postsript here, d'amico Jim Marx down there in Paso Robles, California. He da best, but he da believer in da chart first, then da company. Amico mio Jimmio he also da believer in da vino, esp. da zin.

Prego, tutto bene. This is da Jim:

ThomInAtor, zee market, she has to rise above about 12,800 to get some stability and lower the volatility and not drop below about 11,600. So right now, zee market, she is range bound with 800 points possible swing. Da range bound is 12,000 to 12800! ... I know for you this means very little, but a slip by any of the companies we own can result in more pain. Your mama's cookbook also says when it's done, take it off the fire, don't boil away the juices and great flavors and don't let it boil over. The boil over can come real fast, especially if you're da not watching da pots.

Ciao bene, da Jimbo. And you too, Bennie, and your jets. So shmacka-da-bum, voldies.

-- Thom Calandra

www.ThomCalandra.com

Email: thom.calandra@gmail.com



No comments: