Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Good evening Voldy Morts!

By Thom Calandra

TIBURON, Calif. (TC) -- I rarely script in the evening, but this evening, our little girl is composing her V-day cards for school mates, M. is in the kitchen mixing pumpkin muffins for tomorrow's bake sale at the school ... and the boy is swimming with the Strawberry Team just down the road.

I can post something here in 10 minutes, I figure, even insert a photo from Phoenix, from where we have just returned, and refresh us all on some ThomInAtor Bullets. To wit:

  • It's time to think about poking the junk pile. Lots of the small fry are posting surprising profits, or decent sales gains, or losses that are far less than the experts had forecast. This evening it was Glu Networks (GLUU), a maker of mobile video games, that "came in" better than most analysts had figured. I don't own Glu, but plenty of companies that have tiny market worths are in turn starting to prove worthy on their real numbers. Those who were in Phoenix at the Cambrudge House investment gathering know the specific companies -- two to be exact -- that I believe are worthy of LARGE & Actionable code work.
  • Teva Pharmaceuticals (TEVA) is no small fry. The generic drug developer has sales in the billions, and this evening it made a small fortune for investors, in part due to a multiple sclerosis drug. I (we) own Teva because of an early investment three or four years ago in Ivax, a Miami maker of generic drugs that Teva purchased. If Teva's execs and scientists and salespeople truly start making good on their forecast of making more than $3 a year per share of profit in coming years, Teva shares easily will surpass $50. They trade now at $46 or so. Expect another dividend boost from the Israeli company.
  • What else is there to say, Voldys? This week, I have folks, ordinary Garage Loft Investors one and all, asking where to go to buy real gold, as in the coins and bars. I am NOT an investment adviser. I do believe (repeat after me) ... I do believe gold will become more of a currency in coming years, exchanged for all sorts of things thanks to the newfangled Paypals and GoldMoneys of the world. But I felt a lot more sure about bullion's UPside at $300 an ounce six or seven years ago. Will gold go to $2,000 an ounce? OF COURSE, VOLDIES! To $3,000? Well, doink! Yeah, YEAH YEAH ... but that's just me talking. And when? NOT KNOW!! As in: I know nothing about time frames. NOT KNOW WHEN! JUST KNOW!
  • It's always good to have some real gold in the box. Kitco.com is probably one of the more efficient ways to buy real gold, with REASONABLY FAIR premiums on the coins. The 24-carat coins out there in Sovereign Land (there are only a handful) are my favorites because they shine on like crazy diamonds. Like the buffed Buffalo. The Maple Leaf. And so on. As most of you know, the Kruggerands way down under have the thinnest premiums.

That's all my beloved Voldy Morts! For more, see ThomCalandra.com and this ThomCalandra Blogspot for more on my current book affair, Actionable & LARGE: Guru Cracks Buyside Code.

-- Thom in Tiburon

No comments: